Sunday, August 9, 2015

California Trip - Part 3 - Memorial Day

Memorial Day was beautiful and an amazing day to teach the girls about their great grandpa, Albert Melrose Williams Jr. He served in the the Korean War. When the girls were little I would tell stories about the Grandpa Honey Bear who kept bees, took me to Disneyland every year, loved to take us out to Lupes, ice cream, noodles, and made the best Thanksgiving Day stuffing I have ever had. I would also tell them about the amazing Christmas Holidays where grandpa would buy and store presents in the back room of his chiropractic office and we would not see one until there was a huge mound under the tree Christmas morning. I still remember being his 'secretary' and stapling papers together for his church calling. He called me Dopey and I would tell him I was Happy. I would call him Grumpy and he would tell me he was Doc. He was Bud. He kept amazing gardens. He helped me with my reports for school. The man who was large in his physical form and in his personality. They are convinced that he never passed away but really was Santa Claus who wanted a family and just had to return home to the North Pole. 


We brought along some WD-40 and a brush to spiff up the marker. Ben wanted each girl to take a turn. 










Abby has not stopped talking about Missy since we got back. I think she found a kindred spirit. 


 Another amazing thing about staying with family is that you can take older girls, who might appreciate it more, to places like the Ronald Reagan Library and leave little kids, who would get bored, at home with their Aunt Carla and GG. 


Ronald Reagan's gravesite



A piece of the Berlin Wall

Eliora being a 'fancy rider'

Ben thought this was funny 


Audrey is wondering why Dad got a bigger ice cream....

We found out he really liked jelly beans so someone made a mural of him out of jelly beans


Two of the coolest people ever!!


No comments:

Post a Comment